So it is a crazy downpour outside as I write this...which sort of describes my week perfectly. Sometimes missions are hard. Sometimes we´re given trials that seem a little (lot) more than we can bear. And then somehow we´re given the strength to do it.
I wont go into a lot of details about everything we went through this week because...I just dont feel like giving the long stories. But short version...the health of my companion and Hermana Haggard got pretty bad this week. We were in and out of the hospital and appointments, waking them up to take their medicine, making them drink liquids, helping them with whatever they needed, and lots of other things. We had to take them to Guayaquil to get treatment so they´ll be able to get better faster. It was a long, miserable ride in the car...maybe the only good thing about the trip was driving through the beautiful Andes mountains and rice fields and banana plantations. Ecuador is such a beautiful country. It was my tender mercy in that car full of concern and worry and stress. But Hermana Borja and Haggard are being taken care of now. And for that I am extraordinarily grateful.
Mostly this was a week of learning. So...list-style of some of the things I learned in the midst of everything...
1. Sometimes we have to carry our cross. And sometimes it´s really heavy and we suffer a lot. But God will always shape our back to carry the load if we let Him.
2. Prayer works. When you feel entirely alone and have no idea what to do, God listens. I never understood prayer on such a deep level as I have this week. I feel like this prayer from psalms could have been my own this week...I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. Hear me, O Lord; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies. Draw nigh unto my soul, andredeem it.
And the best part of prayer? He really does help us through those deep waters when we feel like we´re drowning. The moment we feel like we can´t go anymore, He gives us strength. The trick is we have to rely on Him. We have to ask for help. We have to tell Him why we´re hurting and what is going wrong and speak to Him from our hearts. He will strengthen us.
3. And sort of along those lines...we are always in His hands. If we´re willing to just jump into that crazy raging river, He will lead us to our own promised land. The trip is going to be rough at times, beautiful at times, smooth at times, and will inevitably take us down paths we never would have imagined. But someday we will arrive. The Lord is truly guiding us. I just hope my promised land has a lot of mountains and hammocks and graham crackers and milk. Also ice cream. And tacos. And bon fires.
4. Chin videos are the best idea of all time. This week Glanzer and I will try to make a short one so I can send it. (PS...forgot to mention. Hermana Glanzer and I are now companions because Haggard and Borja were changed to Guayaquil)
5. Tender mercies are everywhere. You just have to look for them.
6. I might have been Mexican in my past life. I crave tacos and spicy things. And we found this way legit Mexican restaurant here. It might be an addiction.
7. Sleeping on mattresses in the front room is insanely more comfortable and more exciting than sleeping in your room.
8. God sends His angels when you need them most. We live a few houses down from a lady in our ward, and this entire week she has brought us breakfast, lunch, and dinner because Hnas Borja and Haggard had to be on a special diet for their health. It was like having my mom here. She took such good care of us...calling to make sure we were doing okay, driving us to the hospital when we needed it, and doing absolutely anything for us. Plus the stake president and his family stopped by almost every day to make sure we were doing well. Plus the Bishop called us several times. I feel so lucky to be in such an amazing ward.
There are so many other things I am probably forgetting to write about...but mostly I am just tired of writing.
I hope your Valentine´s Day was full of love and chocolate.
2 comments:
I Love you Merrit. :)
Nothing like a list from Merrit:)
Post a Comment