Pages

16 June 2011

Celebrate good times, c`mon

My new favorite quote by Robert Brault: There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrate.

Hermana Needham and I decided to take that to heart this week and celebrate a holidary every day. Sometimes the mission (and life, for that matter) can become very routine, so it`s good to mix things up.

So here`s the run-down of the miracles, tragedies, and comical moments of the week:

Monday: New Beginnings Day
Sort of like New Years, complete with the poor missionary version of sparkling cider (apple juice and sprite). I got lots of good news in the mail from family and friends, Hna Needham and I found out the requirements for marriage in Ecuador, and we went grocery shopping, which to this day is still one of my absolute favorite things to do ever.

Tuesday: Joy Day
We had a major first: eating crab! We went to lunch at a restaurant of a member and they brought out the soup. It was this giant bowl of a dark substance with a huge red crab just swimming in it. We had no idea how to even begin eating it, so we had to ask the waiter for a tutorial. The verdict of our crab eating experience? Pretty tasty, but way too much effort for a meal. The good news is you burn lots of calories while eating so it`s like a 2-for-1...food and exercise.

Also we found a little 9 year old boy named Elton Yoel who is the son of some less actives. He goes to church all the time, but it turns out he wasn`t baptized yet. So we taught him and prepared him for baptism (more on this later). And also we ate kinder eggs.

Wednesday: Go Green Day
We met this way rad lady named Luz. She is Elton`s aunt. Her 13 year old daughter is baptized but inactive because the family started attending an Evangelical church. She told us very seriously that she believes The Church of Jesus Christ is absolutely true and the lesson was going great...all the way until the very end when she told us that she believes that angels appeared to her and told her that her church is also true. I am still a little confused about the contradiction. She has no desire to change, which is sad because she is such a good lady and could be even happier with the gospel. Sometimes I just have to take a deep breath and remember that it`s all in God`s hands and everyone has their own opportunity to choose. 

Also. We ate broccoli. And that is definitely something to celebrate.

Thursday: Boxing Day
Remember in elementary school when we made boxes for Valentine`s Day to receive love notes and Fun Dips? That`s how we celebrated boxing day. 

And the highlight of the day was weekly service. Every Thursday morning we`re supposed to do service for someone. Lots of times it`s hard to find service opportunities because no one takes us up on our offers. They`re too embarrassed usually. But we went and visited an investigator named Sonya. She let us was her clothes. By hand. Outside. Under the boiling sun. We got to wear some awesome hats to keep the sun off and we scrubbed clothes on this little wooden board. It sounds miserable, but was actually a blast. I learned several things from this...1. I am the clumsiest thing that has ever graced this planet. Somehow I managed to knock over the bucket of water and dump it all over myself, break the spout on the hose, and spill bleach all over my skirt. I left looking like a dripping wet hippie. And 2. Washing machines are one of the greatest inventions ever.

Friday: Cookie Monster`s Birthday
We went to our mamita`s house for lunch and when we got there she sat down and we chatted for a while. After a while my companion and I realized that she had totally forgotten that it was her turn to feed us. So we made an awkward exit and headed to a corner store to find something cheap to fill our hungry stomachs. The answer was tuna fish and rolls. When the lady handed us our purchase the tuna can was covered in dust and the bread was stale. Ha. It was a really classy meal. It reminded me of that time in Ireland my mom made us eat beef jerky and cracker sandwiches. But we made up for it by eating a huge bowl of cookie dough.

The good news is afterward we went and had a rockin lesson with an investigator named Joselina. Earlier this week I was talking to Hna Needham and we were just joking about how we wish that we`d have one of those cliché stories where we leave the Book of Mormon with someone and go back the next day and find them in tears, having stayed up all night reading the book. I think our experience with Joselina is the closest we`ll get. She absolutely loves the Book of Mormon and has read a good chunk of it. When we taught her this week she looked at us and said "Is it true that when you`re trying to do what`s right more and more temptations will come up? Because the more I read this book the harder things become. I think it must be true." We love Joselina.

Saturday: Spa Day
Missionary feet are nasty. We walk 7 or more miles per day (according to hna needham`s pedometer) and our poor feet are never taken care of. So we painted our toenails while we watched the fireworks they showed for the Queen of Machala pageant. 

Also we had a baptism! Elton Yoel Chillogalli Taday got baptized! It was one of the best baptisms I`ve had in the mission. Everyone showed up on time, we had a lovely musical number, and everything just worked out. I think God blessed us with a smooth baptism on Saturday because He knew what was coming on Sunday. Elton was so sweet and was just grinning from ear to ear all day.

One of the most enjoyable parts of missionary work is having Family Home Evenings with investigators and members. Saturday night we went to the familia Chillogalli`s house to do a little FHE with them since Elton had just been baptized. It was blissful. The lesson went perfectly. We talked about enduring to the end and how even though there are a lot of distractions in life ultimate happiness comes from keeping our sights set on the goal of eternal life. 

After the lesson we played Zip-Bong. I promise I have not laughed so hard in my entire life. Picture this: old toothless woman shouting "boooooongggg" at the top of her lungs in a little house made of bamboo. I can`t even explain how funny it was. I am obsessed with that family. They`re a little inactive, but super great people so we`re hoping to help them reactivate completely. 

Sunday: April Showers Brings May Flowers
Woof. Sunday. Monica Roblero was supposed to get baptized. We checked up on her during the week and she never would tell us the whole story of what happened with the whole shooting incident, which was kind of weird. But she said she wanted to get baptized on Sunday, so we got everything ready for it.

Sunday morning we stopped by early to help Monica and all her kids get ready for church. Except bad news. Monica was nowhere to be found. We decided to just take a deep breath and go swing by some other investigators to see if they were coming to church because we were pretty early. So we made our rounds and then went back to the Roblero`s house. Monica appeared in the doorway and looked at us with this huge smile and said all nonchalantly, "Oh, hey hermanas. I don`t want to get baptized anymore. Maybe some other day." I don`t think there are words to describe what it`s like to hear someone say that to you after you have come to love them and spent hours trying to help them gain their own testimony and prepare to get baptized. Maybe the closest description is being punched in the face 5 times and then pushed into a mountain of horse manure. We started trying to talk her through it, but she literally walked away right in the middle of our conversation, hopped on the back of a motorcycle and rode away. 

Needless to say I was super frustrated and a little depressed. We tried giving ourselves pep talks and everything, but mostly I just wanted to sit in the corner and cry. We made a thousand phone calls calling off the baptism and then sat down on a rock to wait for the bus. We must have looked really miserable because some man appeared out of nowhere and handed each of us a little bag of cold water (yes, they sell water in bags here). I almost burst into tears. Our bus came so we didn`t even really have a chance to thank the guy, but I don`t think he has any idea how that changed my day. Who knew a 15 cent bag of water could have such a huge impact! I realized the truth of that way cliché statement that service doesn`t have to be anything big...it can be a smile and a bag of water. He reminded me that everything would work out and that in life we will always have setbacks but we can always keep going.

The rest of the day went pretty well. And we realized how sometimes bad things happen but we learn from them, develop our character, and May flowers will eventually come. 

Monday: Game Day
There is a Chili`s here in Machala. We went. We ate American food. And we played pictionary. I spent way too much money, but it was worth every penny. 

So. Life is good. The church is true. I love missionary work even when my feet want to fall off. 

Love you all more than post-it notes and whiteboards. 

Have the best week of your lives.

1 comment:

Chelsey said...

Sooo, I know this might be weird, but I found your blog one day when I was working (I work night shifts and get very bored haha) and I just had to comment and say that you are inspirational!!
I've been thinking of going on a mission and reading your letters really makes me want to go haha.
Thank you for your spirit and testimony, and your sense of humor!
I'm so grateful for this gospel, and the wonderful people in it :)
have a WONDERFUL day!!!!