The baptism was good, minus the fact that I was not feeling good at all. I kept trying to pretend like I didn`t want to run to the bathroom every second to throw up. Everyone kept talking to us and we had to take pictures and I had to keep everything somewhat organized as far as the baptismal service went. And I almost fainted while I was leading the hymns. Stellar. But it was good to see them make such an important choice in their lives.
The best part about the ward I am in here in Milagro is that the members are amazing. I don`t think there is a word to describe it really. They give us references and walk around in the rain and blaring sun all day with us and come to baptismal services every week, even though they rarely start on time. Most people could think of a thousand other uses of their time, but these people are simply dedicated to serving the Lord. I adore them.
All the baptisms we had this week were references from members...Rosita (the 12 year old) is the neighbor of the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. They teamed up with the young women and treat this girl like a queen. Janina (the single mother) works for some members from a different ward. They took her to stake conference a couple weeks ago and are always there answering her questions and encouraging her. And Joan (the other kid) is friends with a couple girls in the ward. He first came to church sort of because of a deal he made with one of them. He invited her to a party that wasn`t exactly a good thing and felt bad afterward...so to make it up to her, he came to church. And he`s been coming for 3 months straight ever since.
And that is why member missionary work works.
In other news...on Thursday we were going to do divisions again with the sisters in our zone. We met up Thursday morning and I came back to our sector with Hermana Garlock. We studied and got ready and went out to work. I hadn`t been feeling well all morning, but I didn`t want to waste any time that could be spent in the field learning from her, so I tried to put mind over matter and ignore the fact that I wanted to lay down and sleep all day.
So we were walking around and this lady comes walking towards us. We stopped to talk to her. We chatted for a bit and suddenly I was all dizzy, so I sat down on the curb. Really awesome first impression...whatever.
So Hermana Garlock goes on and on talking and I was just trying to keep from fainting or something. And then the entire world started spinning and I turned my head to take a deep breath. As I breathed out suddenly I was barfing everywhere!!
This is a true story.
This lady is just standing there staring at me awkwardly and I am puking in the gutter in the middle of Ecuador. All I could think about was how in the world am I going to brush this off and make this lady not think I am totally nuts?
Finally she just walked away (and bought me a mint at the store haha) and this guy drove by in a truck and handed me a napkin (that is why I love Ecuadorians). And I just sat there and laughed for 10 hours.
Did that seriously happen?
I am officially the most awkward missionary of all time.
The good news is I am feeling much better. The church is still true. And I am still in love with Ecuador.
Love you all more than breath mints and napkins.
Have the most delightful week of your lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment