You know when you feel like every single other person on the planet is doing something interesting with their lives and you're sitting on the computer checking your email again? Yeah. It's something like that.
I spend the end of most days resolving that tomorrow will be more productive. Tomorrow I will do something interesting. Tomorrow I will check off a couple things from my to-do list. Tomorrow I will go on an adventure.
Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Maybe someday I'll figure it out. I still feel like I'm in this bizarre phase of life trying to figure out who I am, what I'm passionate about, and what direction I want to go in life. When I got home from Ecuador I didn't realize I would have to spend some serious time redefining myself.
But perhaps this weekend I got a little closer to figuring out my life. I went on a spontaneous road trip to Moab with a good friend of mine, wore my chacos and lived without a plan and stared a nature. It was a mega change of pace from what I've been living for the past almost 2 years.
Maybe no one will really get what I'm talking about, but it was super weird to meet my adventure self again. I forgot what she was like. And I sort of liked her. We're still trying to get reacquainted, but so far we seem to be getting along quite well. She and I made a pact to go kayaking and hiking and camping and maybe skydiving again.
Anyway. Moab trip highlights, anyone?
We accidentally locked the keys in the car in the parking lot of the local grocery store. We called all 3 of the locksmiths in the area and no one wanted to give us a starving student discount. So we asked for some tips from our old bearded checker while we bought ibuprofen and soap, which led to a store-wide outreach program ending in the store manager rounding up all sorts of weird tools and standing in the hot sun with us for a good chunk of time to break into the car. He was sort of a genius and we finally had the car door open, found the keys, and were off adventuring again. Serendipity, anyone?
We survived for two days on a diet of mostly cherries. No, my bowels were not negatively affected. TMI? Whatever.
They were filming the Lone Star Ranger while we were there, and word was that Johnny Depp was around somewhere, so naturally we had to go search him out. It's weird how hype makes you excited about things you never cared about before. So we cruised up the street where they were filming, thinking we'd totally get in on the action. Wrong. We were met by a billion security guards, stopped at every corner, and only caught a tiny little glimpse at some truck where they were filming some shot of guys on top of a railroad car. So much for our hopes of becoming best friends with Johnny Depp. Dumb.
I always thought I was interested in learning to mountain bike...until I hiked Slick Rock and realized I most likely would have died if I had to do it on a bike.
Someday maybe I'll be a river guide and tell people lies about the river disguised as interesting facts, meet weirdies visiting from out of town, get the sexiest chaco tan known to mankind, and splash around in the water while passing through miles of red rock.
Now I have to go find a job. Bleh. Love real life.
2 comments:
Two of my friends are security guards on that movie set. A really pretty blonde girl and her goofy husband. Maybe you met them. They're probably cooler than Johnny Depp anyway.
Also, the whole who am I what am I passionate about what direction do i want to go debate is eating up my life right now. Being a grown up is first-class sucky.
You said the word sexy! You're making great strides.
Your next adventure is a road trip to Nebraska! ASAP!
Post a Comment