Pages

05 July 2009

Life is Beautiful

It's been a long time since I've been completely content with life. It seems like I'm always freaking out about what the future holds for me, mostly because I'm uncertain about a lot of things. I'll be honest - I don't actually have a clue where I want to be in 5 years...or even one year, for that matter. Ideally, I'd like to split myself into about 7 different people so I can pursue 7 different paths. I just have this disease where I can't actually make up my mind.

Strangely enough, I'm content right now, even though there are so many things up in the air (mission? study abroad? internship? changing my major?...just to name a few). I think I finally got sick of worrying myself to death, so I just quit. I'm living in the moment for once in my life, and loving every second (even when everything seems to be going wrong). It's like all of a sudden I realized that life is short, and it's not really worth freaking out over every single thing. I know this idea is super cliche, but it's finally more than just words to me -I realized it is actually possible to enjoy every moment in life instead of constantly dwelling on past regrets or worrying about the future. As cheesy as it sounds, it is quite liberating.

I couldn't ask for a more perfect summer. I absolutely 100% love my job. I have made amazing friends and learned a lot about myself and the world (and cooking). It doesn't hurt that the Uintas are absolutely stunning, either. If anyone wants to come visit me, I'll take you on a hike that will change your life. Seriously.

Here are a few highlights of this past week at Mill Hollow...

  • Reading time after staff lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are currently making our way through the Junie B. Jones series. If you have not read these books, please do yourself a favor and read them! Yes, they are written for small children, but I laugh until my stomach hurts every time I read them. Genuinely hilarious.

  • Secret Sibling Week. We were assigned someone else on the staff and had to do something nice for them every day. Natalie/Edna Mode (the head cook) and I decided to sabotage the game by giving something to everyone on the last day, just to throw everyone off. We gave people things like pet rocks, a 'Mill Hollow Queen' sash (made out of Little Debbies and other popular Mill Hollow treats), a Cheerio necklace, and my personal favorite - a hat with attachable hair pieces (dreads and a mullet). Yes, they are made of real hair, and yes, it was one of the most disgusting things ever.
  • I made some dang tasty food...but to read about that you'll have to check out my other blog.
  • I have grown a fondness for bandanas. I think that every day I am turning into more and more of a hippie.
  • I was about 2 seconds away from going on a spontaneous road trip to Mexico with some people I work with. It would have worked out perfectly, except we had some passport issues that prevented us from going. Drat.
  • Every single week it weirds me out when I come back to real life and am surrounded by real people. Mill Hollow is a little bit like living in Neverland.

In other news...the 4th of July weekend was pretty swell. We went to the RSL game on the 3rd and watched the fireworks afterward. We were sitting so close to them that we were showered by ash. Yum. On the 4th I went to Park City with the fam and rode the Alpine Slide. I'll have you all know that I dominated the race against my dad down the hill. We wrapped things up with a family BBQ and a Blongo Ball tournament, which I won - thanks to my aunt who earned all the points for our team. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm getting some cavities filled (ugh!) and hitting up some thrift stores to find some treasures for my apartment in the fall. Life is beautiful.

No comments: