Pages

05 September 2012

geeked out

So here's the thing. I'm sort of obsessed with my classes this semester. Like the kind of obsessed that makes me read ahead in my textbooks and show up early to class and tell everyone who will listen about the things I'm learning.

Totally geeking out right now.

My persuasive writing class dominates. My professor acts in lots of church movies. He has a bushy middle-eastern beard and long, curly hair. Yesterday he showed up wearing a long linen tunic with flowy pants and tan sandals. So legit...and such a breath of fresh non-zoobie air.

He made us do this assignment last week about arguments. We had to interview someone who we've disagreed with and ask them questions about their point of view on the matter. We weren't allowed to bring up our end of the argument again...only listen. And ask. And try to understand their values system.

It was probably the most enlightening thing I've ever done. I learned more about the person I interviewed in 15 minutes than I did in our hours and hours of arguing on the topic.

So I'm adopting that idea from now on. Listen more, argue less. Understand people. Appreciate their viewpoints. Don't rule anything out.

Namaste. Yin yang. Zen. Serenity. Peaceful words. Whatever.

1 comment:

Eric Layland said...

There's no turning back from this.