Pages

09 November 2010

Cuencano. Bien Chevere.


11.8.2010
Cuenca. Alamas ward, sector 2. Companion- Hermana Castillo from Panama. She has 3ish transfers left. Maybe 4. I can´t remember. Having a latina companion means I have to speak spanish 100% of the time. sometimes I feel amazing about the language. Other times I wonder if I´ve  ever even learned how to say hello in Spanish. But I do apologize if I accidentally say Spanish things. I can feel my english getting worse as days go by. Hna. Castillo is super chistosa (funny) and we´ve had a splendid time. Except for that one time I almost cried during a lesson. Maybe someday I´ll learn how to explain the gosple without confusing people even more.
We live with Hnas. Haggard y Glanzer. I adore them. Hermana Haggard arrived the same day as me from the Peru MTC, so it´s good to have another newbie to relate to. I hope we´re companions someday. She´s so rad. I love living with all these girls. We have been working in a foursome this week to get to know the area and it´s been a blast. Love it. I´ve been really blessed in the companion area thus far. I better enjoy it while I can, yeah?
Crossing the streets here is jugando con la vida. Playing with life. A motorcycle literally almost killed Hna Castillo the other day, but by some miracle it only ran over her toe. My heart stopped beating when it happened. After the fact we laughed for 10 hours. It will be a miracle if I leave this place without being hit by a car.
Church was yesterday. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I am in love with this ward. They are all so stoked about missionary work and way welcoming. The ward mission leader is an exact replica of Jack Black. He has this awesome yellow jeep that he takes us to appointments in sometimes. There are so many of us that we have to sit in the back. It´s way sketchy, but insanely fun.
We had quite a few investigators show up to church. Also we should be having some baptisms soon. So rad. I can´t believe I´m living this life.
Food. Here´s a little snippet from my journal from the other day about the food - "Lunch today was at the bishop`s house. He is way rad and has two adorable little kids. Love that family. we had to eat some nasty soup that was cold and flavorless. And Hna. Haggard´s had a fly in it. Tasty, yeah? She and I both hate soup, so we just looked at each other and laughed. Also they fed us cucumbers. Barf. Barf. Barf. I hate those nasty things. But everything else was good. Even the papaya juice. Eating here is so weird. Normally members feed us when we go to their house, but we´re never really sure when that will be. So sometimes I eat a lot and sometimes never. I don´t think my body will every get accustomed to this."
Teaching. It freaks me out beyond all reason. I still feel clueless. But I´ll get the hang of it. I wish sometimes that I could have had a little more time in the MTC because I feel so unprepared. Also it would be helpful if I didn´t have to sleep so I could just study at night instead.
Speaking of getting the hang of things...it will be a miracle if I ever get to know my way around the cities here. Our sector is ginormous. We travelled by bus for an hour the other day to go to an appointment. Huge. I would be so lost if my companion ever happened to disappear.
Anyway. Sorry for the big gap between posting and for posting a thousand updates today. I didn´t have a p day last week. I wish I had time to write all of the hilarious and awkward and awesome things that have happened to me. 
Oh. Writing to me. Letters take forever. If you want to email feel free. Snail mail is lovely too. Just slow. Also don´t feel bad if I don´t write back asap.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hermana Dennison will love Cuenca. My daughter (Hna Chamberlain) served there with Hna Castillo for three months before being transfered to Loja two weeks ago. The people there are amazing and it is the most beautiful place in the mission. It is also quite cold there at night. Ellen froze until I could send her some long-sleeved shirts.