Pages

19 June 2010

Mexican Lovin

Oops. I forgot lots of things in that last post. I wish I could just upload pictures, but this computer would take 20 years. I´m currently sitting in some dumpy internet cafe near our accommodations.

Flying here was a headache. They tried to make us pay thousands of dollars to bring humanitarian supplies. And then we almost missed our flight. And I wanted to die. So I ate a cupcake and listened to this.



We´re staying a trade school run by the Mexican government. It's pretty rad. I feel like I'm at summer camp sleeping in this rickety bunk bed and taking showers in this nasty communal shower place. The stalls are DEFINITELY way too short for me. Way awkward. Ha. Why am I always too tall for everything?! Luckily there's hot water, so whatever.

Weather? Downpours every day. Except today...hallelujah. My chacos have been the best thing of my life. The other day I had to walk down the street that had turned into a mini raging river. Chacos. Everyone should have a pair. Also they should pay me for advertising.

Hm. What else. Today we hung out in San Cristobal. It's a way rad city. Very colonial and hippie. I talked to a bunch of people who were working there at the outdoor market. Everyone is incredibly nice. I talked to people who moved here from Palenque (5 hours from here) and they were way rad. I love that I can carry on a conversation in Spanish. And then somehow I managed to spend 25 bucks on a ring. I never buy very much stuff when I travel but I couldn't resist. Oops. I'm going to be so broke when I get back.

I ate some weird fruit called leechees or something. I have no idea how to spell it. They're spiky on the outside and sorta like grapes. I swear they were the best thing of my life. I ate twenty. And then one billion tacos. Also watched the world cup in some bar. Seriously. Mexico. Best thing of my life. I'm moving here when I become a hippie. Maybe the fact that I walked around with legs that haven't been shaved in at least 2 weeks (maybe three?) and chacos means that I'm turning hippie.

Tomorrow we're going to church. And then I'm going to explore the city (outside of the market. my wallet will appreciate that). I seriously can't even tell you how rad this place is. It gives me the butterflies.

3 comments:

shlipea said...

A couple of the girl counselors this year always wear chacos and it always makes me think of you. Also, that's super exciting about your mission! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

After 4 summers of camp friends who love chacos, I'm slowly beginning to cave. I want them and I want them bad.

Plus, also, I have heard of those leechees fruits. We read about them in my English class one time. Random, yes. I heard they're quite amazing though.

Eric Layland said...

Love this song. Love your blog. I will buy chacos this week. Not a joke. It sounds like a total dream! Ah! I'm jealous. We'll swap amazing stories in August:)