Pages

24 June 2010

A Sunday in Mexico

On Sunday we had the opportunity to attend an LDS ward here in San Cristobal. It was absolutely incredible...just what I needed here. I am always so blown away at how amazing this church is. It´s the same anywhere you go - screaming babies, powerful testimonies, caring bishopric, awkward deacons, and old people sleeping in the back. The only difference was that Mexican wards win the award for most off-tune hymn singers. Seriously. It´s hilariously horrible.

The church is true no matter where you go. It is true in Salt Lake and Provo and London and Mexico and Thailand and New Zealand and Costa Rica and Ecuador and everywhere. I can´t wait to serve the Lord in Ecaudor and share a message that brings authentic and lasting happiness. All the sacrament meeting talks were about missionary work and it took away so many of my fears and anxieties about leaving my life for 18 months. I can´t even begin to express how grateful I am for the opportunity I have to share what I know with the world on a full-time mission.

The ward we attended has about 140 members. There are 3 wards in San Cristobal and one Tzotzil branch. (Tzotzil is a Mayan dialect spoken by the indigenous people in this region). One of the members from the ward went to Salt Lake and translated the Book of Mormon into Tzotzil. Another went and did Tzotzil temple ordinances. Cool, right? All of the people were beautiful and warm and welcoming. I loved every second.

No comments: