Pages

22 August 2010

Solitude

Last night I found myself pulling in to the parking lot of the dollar theater on my way home from a party. The man asked me twice how many tickets I wanted. "One," I said. "Just one?" "Yeah." I sat alone in a theater full of strangers watching a horrible film full of boring sword fights and lame story lines. (Don't see Prince of Persia. Ever.)

And I loved every second. I didn't pull my phone out to text someone when the film stopped working in the middle of the show. I just sat there smiling to myself, relishing that feeling of being alone. No one to please, no one to make awkward small talk with. I've never been good at that. Being alone is liberating.

Perhaps I'm subconsciously soaking in every moment of solitude before I spend 18 months attached to my companion's hip.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

geeze you're cool.

Alisha said...

I absolutely LOVE going to the movies alone!! (Except when old creepy guys try and sit right next to me and strike up conversation during the entire movie.......)

Unknown said...

I love that you're solitude is the dollar theater. Oh Merrit. You're awesome.