Today started out horribly (on paper). Somehow I managed to sleep through my alarm set for 7:30 am. Instead I woke up at 10:57. I'm not sure how that happened. Anyway, I missed my first two classes. Not the best way to start my day. Or so I thought. Turns out it was a delightful adventure because I walked to school at noon and it was WARM! Toasty, even. And I didn't even care that I missed my classes even though we were going over important stuff. I think I am becoming more and more irresponsible the older I get. Ironic, no?
After the one class I managed to attend, I took a different route around campus because I wanted to spend every possible second outside. Some people were giving away free hotdogs. Apparently it was for some fundraising campaign. Whatever. Free food? Yes, please. I was too late to hop in line though. They were closing up shop.
Mildly disappointed, I continued on my trek around campus when suddenly some guy was in my face yelling something about "free" and "pens" and "donuts." Umm what?! Apparently at BYU they celebrate pi day (3.14) the day after if that particular holiday happens to fall on a Sunday. So naturally the math department went all out. I threw a frisbee at a pi symbol and got a cookie. I watched people compete in a pie eating contest. People kept handing me free pens. The longer I stood there, the more pens I got.
I was momentarily enticed to switch my major to math. Maybe the sociology department should start doing things like this. I nominate April 5 to be National Sociology Day. We'll have highly interactive games like the human knot (because sociologists study human social behavior. Get it? No? Bad joke.) and give out rootbeer floats with homemade rootbeer...the kind that the PTA mom dressed as a witch makes in kindergarten on Halloween.
Anyway, Pi Day is now in my top 5 favorite holidays. Thank you, math geeks.

1 comment:
You should have come to see the llamas.
Post a Comment