Pages

02 May 2010

Merrit's 10 keys to happiness

1. Simplify. Eliminate unnecessary distractions in life. Focus on the task at hand. Don't start too many projects at the same time. Get back to the basics. True happiness isn't found in seeing the latest movie or looking at your third grade teacher's pictures on facebook. Don't waste time doing dumb things for excessive amounts of time or focusing on things that don't bring lasting joy. Learn to appreciate the simple pleasures in life.

2. Be Ugly. I spent the entire summer last year wearing nasty clothes covered in bacon grease, with a bandana tied around my hair that would go unwashed for more days than I'd care to admit. I was purely hideous. And I really, really miss it. Being ugly allows you the opportunity to just be real. You have absolutely nothing to hide behind, so you have to let your true inner self shine through. I'm not saying you have to run around looking like an unshowered hippie all the time - just take a second and evaluate if you're being true to yourself or if you're hiding behind a mask (literally or figureatively). It's rather liberating. Also...it's a good excuse to quit wearing makeup and spending money on clothes. Win-win situation, right?

3. Human Connection. Take the time to learn about other people. Everyone comes from a different background has a unique outlook on life. Broaden your perspective on life by getting to know all sorts of people and learning from them.

4. Nature. I am constantly amazed at the beauty of the earth. Whether it be Indian Paintbrush or quaking aspens or deer or potguts or massive mountains or lightning or tulips or whatever. I love it all. Take a second do look around and appreciate nature and marvel at God's creations. I promise it will bring instant peace and serenity.

5. The Gospel. Well, duh. This should really be numero uno, but I'm too lazy to reformat my whole list. Making the gospel the center of your life is the only way to absolutely true, authentic happiness. Check it out: mormon.org

6. Gratitude. Making a conscious effort to show gratitude reveals to yourself how lucky you are so that even when life seems horrible, you can see the silver lining and find something positive in everything.

7. Experience every emotion fully. When you're mad, be mad. When you're nervous, be nervous. Whether you're sad, excited, anxious, grateful, overwhelmed, or whatever - show it all! By expressing negative emotions, you're able to quickly recognize them as being bad, so you can push those feelings out of the way quickly and make room for happiness, joy, and excitement. Feeling everything fully makes life much richer.

8. Try Everything. (Within reason, of course). Seize every opportunity to do something new or learn something new. Don't be afraid of looking stupid because you don't know how to do something perfectly. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Be confident in your ability to do anything, and it will pan out.

9. Smile. Laugh, chuckle, guffaw, grin, giggle. Any situation is made better with laughter.

10. Tell yourself you're happy. Fake it till you make it.

3 comments:

Lesa said...

Are you sure you want me to always show my emotions...???

Anonymous said...

You're a rock star. I love your guts.

Eric Layland said...

I love number 6. So important. Also. I love all of them.