1. FAREWELL. I leave in exactly a week from today!! AHH!! I'm freaking out. I feel inadequate and unprepared. But also I'm excited to get out of this bubble and back into the real world. And I keep dreaming of Ecuador and trying to imagine what it will be like. I am so excited that I get to live in such a rad place for 17 months.
2. NO BAD DAYS. We had a district review meeting this week where the 2nd counselor in our branch presidency came and talked to us. It changed my life. I know that's cliche, but it did. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated and depressed I was for the first little bit here. I tried to maintain a good attitude, but I thought about going home daily. It was too hard and I wasn't good enough. He came and talked about how Satan wants more than anything to stop this work from going forward and he will do everything in his power to discourage and frustrate missionaries. He knows your weaknesses and things that tempt you and everything. But then he talked about how we can overcome that. He promised us that we would never have a bad day on a mission. Horrible moments, yes. But never a bad day.
So that is my new goal, not just for my mission, but for life, too. No bad days. Ever.
3. ENHANCED. So. The MTC does this thing for sister missionaries called an enhancement class. That means that you get to leave class (yay!) and go get free makeup. They claim it was worth 200 bucks, but I think they must have to put gold in it to make it worth that much. Either way, I thought it was hilarious that they offered the class and I was stoked about the free stuff. Best thing of my life.
4. FREE. Speaking of free...they have these give away boxes in the residence halls where people leave stuff they don't want to take with them to the field. This week I picked up an awesome ginormous nightgown and a new skirt. Everything is always better when it's free. So. Trashy things I love: making other people's trash my treasure.
5. ACORNS. Safe to eat. That was the lesson of the day on Friday. Hermana Pace and I got bored of studying so we went outside to take pictures. We founda gigantic acorn on the ground under a tree. Hna. Pace decided to crack it open and see if there was a nut inside. There was. So we ate it. And we're still alive, so I guess that's a good sign that it wasn't poinsonous. If the cafeteria burns down, I would save all the missionaries from dying of starvation by telling them about the edible acorns. Like manna from heaven.
5 1/2. Whoever said missions were boring is a liar. Some days I laugh so hard I nearly pee my pants. Or maybe once I did pee my pants here. Guess you'll never know the truth. My companion is hilarious. And my district. Love them.
6. MOLLY MORMON. On Saturday my district leader told me I wasn't Molly Mormon enough. Um...what does that even mean? I laughed, thanked him for his input, and told him I don't ever plan on becoming one of those. I was secretly thrilled that I come across as anything but molly mormon. I don't feel like I should ever have to conform to some stereotype of what a mormon or missionary should be. It's hard enough to just be myself - why should i ever have to be like anyone else? I refuse to become wsome robot who just does things because they're expected. I will do things because i want to figure out if they really are correct, and if they are then i'll continue to do them. if not, screw it. No Molly Mormon for me, thank you very much.
7. FAMILIARITY. I love seeing people I know here. Pricilla Stewart from high school soccer. Troy Winder from my ward. Random people I knew from high school. Old friends from the MTC cafeteria who still work there. This week I saw a girl I once hiked timp with. Last fall my friend Bryce came up from southern utah with his friend Kellie and we hiked it together. One day I was waltzing through the cafeteria, minding my own business, and all of a sudden I heard someone yell, "SCOUT!" I was trying to figure out who in the world knew my Mill Hollow camp name and turned around and saw Kellie. It was delightful. I miss being called Scout. So I love seeing here everyday because that's what she calls me. Maybe I'll make my investigators call me that too. It reminds me of aspen trees and screaming elementary school kids and deer and hammocking.
8. Remember how I said I'm leaving next tuesday? That means this is my last P-day. So I probably won't get to check my email again until I'm in Ecuador. So the best way to contact me is via Dear Elder if you want to say any kind words before I leave this country. :)
9. Last week letter mishap. I sent a TON of letters last week to people. I think the mail room lost all of them (or most of them) and I'm sort of freaking out about it. So just know that I love you and really did send you a letter. Mail sucks.
10. Um...my time is almost up on this computer. I hope I covered everything. I adore all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment