Well, not really about me, but about my name and how cool it is.
I spent at least 18 years of my life hating my name. You know when someone calls your name out in a crowd and you cringe a little because it sounds so bizarre? That was my life. All the days.
But then I came to terms with it and actually started to like it. I have never met a single other person on the planet with my same name. There are plenty of perks to having a weird name...one of which is I never had that awkward experience of going by my first name + last initial in elementary because there were 7 other Merrits in the class. And no one ever steals my cup with my name on it at a party.
I recently stumbled upon some fascinating statistics:
- As of February 2011, there were 328 people in the US named Merrit
- South Dakota has the most people named Merrit per capita (6 per million people)
When people give me that blank look when I introduce myself, I still say, "yeah, it's Merrit. Like merit badge."
2 comments:
About your South Dakota fact. This means there is a grand total of 3 people in South Dakota named Merrit. Thought you'd enjoy that.
Mert. Merrito. Merrit.
Post a Comment