"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way."
-Charles Dickens
-Charles Dickens
Great minds must think alike because this is precisely how I feel at this exact moment. Today was a day of exact opposites. I had an awful time in Spanish (surprise, surprise. ha). It probably had sometime to do with the fact that we had to give a presentation in front of the class. Blah. Yet at the same time I was pretty stoked because I got a 98% on a paper I had to write! If Spanish didn't involve actually speaking I'm pretty sure I would be pro.
After Spanish I was going to go in and talk to an advisement counselor to try to figure out what the heck I want to do with my life. I am the most indecisive person on the face of this earth and I cannot settle on a major for the life of me. The thought of it makes me a little nauseous. Before I went in I sat down at a table and did what I do best--made a list.
Actually I made multiple lists in an attempt to figure out what I would have the slightest interest in doing for the rest of my life. I made lists about what I'm good at (that one was very short), things I wish I was good at, goals in life, things I enjoy doing, things I hate doing. The only conclusion I came to after spending an hour writing these dumb lists was that I have no idea what to do. That was definitely one of those "worst of times" moments.
On the plus side, though, today was the most gorgeous day of all time. Perfect temperature, blue skies with huge puffy clouds here and there, and a crisp autumn breeze with just enough sun to keep you warm. I'm lamenting the fact that I'm stuck inside studying when I should be outside enjoying the weather. I love fall. The weather was definitely the silver lining to an otherwise pretty crappy day.
I think college in general tends to be a "best of times, worst of times" sort of experience. Things like free food events, Donna Lewis dance parties, and pizza/movie nights are definite highlights, but of course there's the little thing called school and real life. Tests are hard. Keeping up on homework is hard. Trying to made up my mind on what to study is impossible. I guess all you can do is take it all in stride and use the good times to propel you through the crap. Easier said than done.
No comments:
Post a Comment