Pages

22 October 2008

Successful?

So basically today has sucked and I feel like a huge failure in everything, but I won't bore you with the details. Lucky for me, I randomly stumbled across this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson that sorta made me think that I should probably re-think my definition of success.

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

1 comment:

Megan K Leavitt said...

This quote is on a little stand thing in our kitchen. Isn't it great? It makes you feel better if you spent three hours talking with your roommates instead of doing homework :)