Pages

01 September 2009

I'd Like an Extension, Please



Summer came and went faster than a speeding bullet. I am 99.9% positive that the world is spinning faster, causing time to pass more quickly every single day. What happened to those long summers when I was left sitting around, bored out of my mind because I had already done everything there was to do in the summertime?! My summer to-do list is still 50 miles long (make cool crafts, cook more food, hike more, rollerblade, learn to mountain bike, go on picnics, reading more books...pretty much anything that doesn't involve sitting in a desk). My brain is still in summer mode, and I don't know that I'll ever make the transition back to school mode.

I originally was a little concerned about the fact that I'm in total denial about the whole school starting thing, but I think it will actually work in my favor. This summer I suddenly became super curious about the world around me, and I developed a passion for learning about everything under the sun. This attitude has (so far) carried over into my school work; studying no longer seems like a chore because I'm actually interested in what I'm learning! Bizarre, yeah?

I have also been able to maintain a certain level of simplicity in life. I spent the entire summer without internet or phone service or TV. Now I mostly think those things are a waste of time (although I will admit to wasting too much time on the internet these past couple days). One less thing to suck up my time! The less time I spend doing these dummy things, the more time I'll have to study. Brilliant.

For me, this summer was a time to try new things and meet new people and go on crazy adventures. Hopefully this carries over to school life as well. So far so good...I signed up for a kick ball team on a whim, I'm thinking about joining the sailing club, and I made it a point to sit at the front of the class in every class and talk to random people.

I'll be honest - I'm not super stoked to be back in P-town. I miss the mountains like crazy, and I feel extremely claustrophobic in my new apartment that was designed for gnomes who didn't need any storage space. I just want to run around in the forest! But I think it will be a good year, full of challenges and adventures and all manner of exciting things.

No comments: