Pages

22 July 2010

Not to brag or anything...

I wore a sweater in the middle of July - the cartigan I bought last night. I couldn't resist that mustard yellow, even though it made me sweat to death in my car with no air conditioner. (Anyone want to fix that for free? It blows hot air. I can't decide which is worse - a hot, airless car, or scorching hot air blowing in my face. I cry every time I have to drive anywhere.)

But it was totally worth it because the prophet told me I was beautiful. "You're a pretty girl," he said, "I have an eye for it. My wife will tell you that. Maybe being the prophet I should tell you you're stately, but I know beauty when I see it."

So I guess I made the right outfit choice. Brilliant.

He went on to give my sister and I plenty of dating and marriage advice. He told me not to let the football star or popular guy sweep me off my feet. "Eternity is a long time. Dapper Dans aren't all they're cracked up to be." Good thing I hate football anyway. He told me to marry someone who can take me to the temple. And he said not to marry a boy who rides a motorcycle. I don't think that was actually a commandment though...so I'm not actually required to listen to that, right?

We had the opportunity to chat for over an hour. He told us the story of how his wife's parents gave him a kiss on their first date because his grandfather's brother was the one who baptized Francis' father's family. "Her dad cried and gave me a kiss. Then her mother gave me a kiss. Then Francis said, 'I think I'll go get my coat.'" He went on to talk about their courtship while he was off in the Navy, and how they got married after 4 years of dating. He told this story at least 6 times in the period of an hour. By the end I could finish his sentences. But I didn't really mind...he adores his wife and it's the sweetest thing ever.

He also asked me where I go to school 4 times. And forgot that I was going on a mission 3 times. He can remember the song that played at some dance he went to on a cruise in 1948 (it was called Cherokee, in case you were wondering), but can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago. I guess that's what happens when you have one billion things on your mind.

As the conversation was winding down, he turned to me and asked if I had any questions for him. Umm..?!? Blank stare. It's not everyday you have the chance to ask a prophet of God anything you want! So of course I was drawing blanks left and right. What the heck was I supposed to ask him - When is the Second Coming?!

I stared at him for a second like a total idiot. And then I finally snapped out of it and asked for mission advice. He thought about it for what seemed like a million years. Finally he responded, "Learn to get along with your companion...the next one might be worse! Listen to your mission president, he won't lead you astray. Don't worry about what's going on at home. The Lord will bless your family while you're serving."

Very simple, sound advice. Not earth-shattering, but nothing about our encounter was. It was totally not what I expected (maybe I thought everything he said would be like a conference talk...? who knows), but cool. Very cool. It was like talking to my grandpa. I had to keep reminding myself that he was the prophet. I loved every second.

So. Pop quiz. If you had the chance to meet the prophet, what would you ask?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool Merrit!! I love that you got to meet the prophet! If I had the chance to meet the propet, I'd probably draw a blank and say "uh....uh...."

Alyssa said...

cute cute cartigan. very cool that you got to meet president monson and even cooler that you got to talk with him. i have no idea what i'd ask him. have you met the 3 nephites? ha your second coming question is what i would've thought of too. however, mission advice, good choice.

Lesa said...

I would ask him why you weren't inspired to invite me.

Eric Layland said...

Didn't get the read the whole post yet, but want to. Don't you own that exact same sweat already??

MD said...

Just because I have 50 cartigans doesn't mean I already have a yellow one. It's the first, thank you very much.

Celeste said...

Um - I'll admit that I am 100% jealous of this experience!!! And I have NO CLUE what I'd ask him...he's amazing!