Pages

25 September 2010

My life, as of late.

I should be writing my talk for tomorrow, but I'll blog instead.

I went through the temple this week. It was beautiful, inspiring, and a little overwhelming. I'm excited to go back again and again to learn and understand. If you haven't been to the temple yet, keep preparing to go. Don't do anything that would deny you of the blessings you will receive. If you've been through the temple already, go back! I know it's hard to find the time, but make it a priority. And just think - at least you don't have to get wet from baptisms so you don't have to get ready again afterward.

I sort of feel like preparing for a mission is like planning a wedding. I find myself easily lost in the details of buying wrinkle-free shirts, packing my life into boxes, and deciding what food to serve at my farewell. It's kind of pathetic how much the important stuff gets overlooked. Scripture and Preach My Gospel study gets pushed to the back burner. I told the MTC people that I'd study the gospel in Spanish, but I haven't even looked up the word for "Atonement". So going on a mission is like getting married. You plan everything for the wedding, but sort of forget to get ready for the marriage. Or so I hear. I haven't actually been married, so I wouldn't really know. Whatever.

Do I talk about this whole mission thing too much? Maybe I should update you on other things. Like how I cried in Ramona and Beezus last night at the dollar movie. Or how I could spend hours and hours playing at the park. Or how I learned Regina Spektor's 'Folding Chair' on the piano. Or how I keep worrying that I'm going to get fat in Ecuador. Or how my obsession with books and bookstores is exploding and I have the world's largest stack of books to read when I get back. Or how the most beautiful Anne Taylor dress found me at the D.I. and begged me to purchase it for only 8 dollars.

You all better be at my farewell tomorrow (except don't expect too much from my talk because of course I'm preparing it last-minute).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, I love you. I bawled through Ramona, so did Daisy and Copper.

Eric Layland said...

Your talk was wonderful:) (So was the food after). And you learned to play Folding Chair on the piano??? Merrit. You know I love this song. Play it for me!