Life has loveliness to sell, All beautiful and splendid things, Blue waves whitened on a cliff, Soaring fire that sways and sings, And children's faces looking up, Holding wonder like a cup. Life has loveliness to sell, Music like the curve of gold, Scent of pine trees in the rain, Eyes that love you, arms that hold, And for your spirit's still delight, Holy thoughts that star the night. Spend all you have for loveliness, Buy it and never count the cost; For one white singing hour of peace Count many a year of strife well lost, And for a breath of ecstasy Give all you have been, or could be.
-Sara Teasdale
This summer has been lovely. Beyond lovely, really. I decided to commit myself to spending everything I have on loveliness, and it has been a deep breath of pure ecstasy.
digging trenches in Mexico,
whitewater rafting in Costa Rica,
berry picking in Portland,
making friends with Indian and Turkish girls, pillow talk with my sisters,
playing the guitar and piano,
cooking in the Uintas,
roasting marshmallows and starbursts and sour patch kids,
hiking Timpanogos for sunrise,
dancing to the Avett Brothers at Deer Valley (and seeing them twice in one summer!),
kayaking the Provo River and Great Salt Lake,
skydiving on my birthday,
reading the Book of Mormon like crazy,
braiding hippie crowns out of grass and flowers,
and the list goes on.
Lovely, lovely, lovely. All of it.
And soon I get to buy all the loveliness that Ecuador and the gospel has to offer. I couldn't be happier. What lovely things has life been selling to you? |
|
| |
|
2 comments:
Um, that poem? It's a song. Yep. Totally sang it in high school choir. I'm giddy that you know it, the poem version at least.
The CES fireside tonight was lovely, my entire life is lovely, I have THE loveliest roommates, and the crisp turning-into-autumn weather is definitely lovely.
Oh, plus my friend Scout? She's lovely.
I was going to say, I sang that song in high school as well. It's a very pretty song, but I've also read the poem for college (oh the joys of an English Major). Anyway, you are my hero Merrit and I love blogstalking you! :)
Post a Comment