Wótè Borafó anáa?
Sprichst du Englisch?
Reñe'êkuaápa inglépe?
Aap Ungraizi boltay hain?
Eigo ga hanasemasu ka?
Waweza kusema Kiingereza?
Hablas espanol?
Because I am truly a bona fide nerd, I actually found joy in reading my Sociology textbook tonight. The chapter was titled "Culture" and the absolute most interest parts of the chapter discussed the significance of language and how it allows culture to exist.
Think about it. Because of our ability to communicate through a developed language, we can convey thoughts and ideas. The book went on to explain how without language our memories would be extremely limited because we associate our experiences with words. It would be impossible for us to agree on times, dates, and places without language. Just think--no language=no rollerblading extravaganzas at the park! Life would be miserable!
It's also interesting to note that language has embedded in it ways of looking at the world. It not only expresses our thoughts, but also shapes the way we think. Anyone that has learned a new language can attest to the fact that within each language is an entire world of deeper cultural meanings and understanding. Certain words have specific connotations that are culturally significant. For instance, Americans can make a clear distiction between jam and jelly. Other languages (and, by extention, cultures) have only one word for a fruity spread.
Even within one language, the way someone speaks tells so much about them. Phrases they use, idioms, accents, etc. all are associated with language and also give us a hint to their own personal culture. My textbook gave a pretty hilarious example of this. Try to guess what this doctor is explaining:
"[It accompanies] diaphragmatic plearisy, pneumonia, uremia, or alcoholism...Abdominal causes include disorders of the stomach, and esophagus, bowel diseases, pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritaion, hepatic metastases, or hepatitis. Thoracic and mediastinal lesions or surgery may be responsible. Posterior fossa tumors or infarcts may stimulate centers in the medulla oblongata. (Chambliss 2003:443)"
Have you guessed it? If you said "hiccups," you are correct! Give yourself a high five. Basically, this just goes to show that these words clearly divide people into subcultures. The same goes for gangsta-speak, southern drawls, Mormon lingo, and too-cool-for-school teen talk.
Language has always been an extremely fascinating subject to me. I love watching Chinese tourists jibber jabber to each other and I've always been so amazed that they actually know what the heck they're saying. I'm sure you've all stopped for a second and tried to wrap your head around the idea that to those Chinese tourists, your English conversation sounds just as foreign and bizarre.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am taking Spanish 321 this year (the class for RMs). During those times in class when I have absolutely no clue what the professor is talking about (these instances are FAR too often), I sit in amazement that 19 year old boys can go out to these foreign countries around the world, and in a relatively short amount of time be able to communicate with the people around them. I've studied Spanish for over 6 years and they all speak it so much better than me!
Although I'm clueless most of the time, I feel like this class is actually going to be really good for me because I'll learn a TON about the language. I have always had this drive to eventually master Spanish (and eventually other languages as well....hopefully), which I think stems from my desire to understand the culture and the people who speak it. The more Spanish I learn, the more appreciation I gain for their values and culture. I know I am sounding like a huuuuge geek here, but seriously, it is so fascinating.
So, moral of the story is...you should all go enrich your lives by learning a second language and everything there ever was to know about that culture. Mkay?

2 comments:
Wow Merrit. You are a big ol' nerd. :) Though I am glad that you mentioned rollerblading.
Wow merrit
I just love your passion
but to tell you the truth, I could care less about learning a second language.
My brain just isn't that big, but once again, I do admire your determination.
Post a Comment