Pages

07 September 2008

It takes some cold to know the sun

Good news. I'm not hating life as much anymore. College life is still pretty freakin weird, but I'm actually managing to enjoy it!...well most parts, anyway. Let's just say ihop is crazy busy at 3 am on a Friday night (or Saturday morning, if you will) in a college town. Good times.

As far as classes go, I'm pretty stoked about my professors so far. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have sociology, marketing, and statistics. It's pretty rockin because all three tie into each other, so I end up learning similar things in all of them but from different points of view. Call me a nerd, but I absolutely love it. Mind you, this will probably change in a few weeks when I get loads of homework, but the outlook is pretty positive for the moment.



I attempted to change my Spanish class the other day because it turns out I'm supposed to be in the class with all the Spanish-speaking returned missionaries. Terrifying, I know. So I went and talked to the professor (in Spanish! ah!) but his class was full, so I'm still in hot pursuit of a Spanish 321 class. I feel like this is going to be the most awkward class of my life. Guaranteed I will be very much in the minority as a girl in the class...and the thought of them all being geeky BYU RMs seeking their eternal companion or whatever is kinda creepy. Oh yeah, and the whole Spanish thing? Pretty sure there's no way I'm as fluent as returned missionaries! It will certainly be an adventure...provided that I actually get into a class!


Something that I've been thinking a lot about the past couple days is becoming comfortable in my own skin. I think a lot of times I look at other people and wish I was more like them--more outgoing, more intelligent, more hard-working, better looking, good at music, etc etc etc. I could go on for hours. Why is it so easy to look around and envy what other people have or are? Wouldnt it just make more sense to be content with who you are as a person? If you think about it, it really is such a blessing that we are all so different and have such a variety of talents. How lame would it be if we were all the same?

That was probably the hugest lesson I learned over the summer while I was in Mexico doing service stuff. I went with a huge group, and one day I was sitting there and suddenly I realized how amazing it was that all of us were so different, yet when we combined our talents and abilities we were able to do amazing things. The same goes in everyday life. We all bring our own mad skills to the table, and somehow the world goes round. I know, I know, this is sooo cheesy. But I really do mean it genuinely.

I think that's my biggest goal at the moment--learning to be myself and stop wishing I was someone else. After all, what a blessing it is to be a daughter of God and to have been blessed with so many talents from Him. It's kind of a slap in the face to ignore all that and want to be something different. So here's to embracing introvert-ness, mega lame attempts at humor, cheesy blog posts, complete lack of gracefulness, and super flexible fingers (I'll demonstrate for you later. It's a pretty incredible talent.)!

No comments: