Last Saturday at Portobello Road, we were all so tired we could hardly see straight, so all of us looked forward to checking out the market for reals this time. Plus we had a bit of cash, so that didn't hurt either :)
The three of us sisters wandered around together and bought cool scarves and other random things. Mal and Ab got some delicious crepes from a street vendor, which were splendid as well. I've figured out that it's much more cost-effective for me to not actually buy any treats for myself--instead, I just wait around until everyone else has had their fill of dessert and gladly consume the rest for them. Not only do I not have to spend a dime, but I also get to enjoy just as much of the desserts as everyone else. And as an added bonus, I get a big variety when everyone orders something different! So today that meant 1/2 of a banana and chocolate crepe and 1/2 of a strawberry and chocolate one as well. Lucky me.
The rain started coming down pretty hard the second we got the crepes, and of course we were like a mile down Portobello Road (it's sooo long! We didn't even make it all the way to the end!). We hurried home and made it without even getting our eyes poked out by other people's umbrellas! But that's not to say we didn't have any close calls. Those things are like weapons of mass destruction!
We planned on making it into the city today, but with the blustery weather, we decided to stay in and have a day of playing cards, sleeping, and eating. We also had a movie night and watched A Knight's Tale! The greatest movie of all time! We bought it at a store down the road and enjoyed watching it on our barbie-sized TV. Plus we had brownies and sour patch kids, so it was extra delightful.
On tap for tomorrow: church in the morning (I'll remember to wear sensible shoes this time) and a Manchester United game in the afternoon!! For those of you that don't know, Man Utd is the greatest football/soccer team to ever roam the planet. Supposedly we have pretty awesome seats, so I'm very stoked--especially for the part where I get insanely drunk and party it up with the loyal fans. Just kidding about the drunk part.
Well, off to bed (hopefully). Some new people just moved in upstairs and I think they are practicing to become the best tap dancers in all the world. I had no idea people could make so much noise clonking around all day long!
3 comments:
Sounds like you are still have a glorious time!!! I would love to see pics of Portobello Road -- so take some!!! :)
For anyone staying in London and visiting Portobello Market, aside from all the touristy stuff, it is actually a functioning food market where us locals actually by food that we cook that evening!
So anyway, my top tip is, get there after 4pm and you can pick up a week's worth of food for next to nothing by buying the excess produce that they sell for 1 pound a box/basket/whatever. Amazing bargains to be had.
Merrit
I am throughly enjoying the recanting of your England days. Sounds like you are having the time of your life. I am also reading your Dad's blog, and I have to say, yours is a lot more interesting. Please be sure to tell him that for me. --- Your favorite home teacher (I hope!)
Post a Comment