Pages

30 August 2008

Rise and shout, the Cougars are out

Well, it's official. I moved to the infamous land of Happy Valley to go to school at BYU. I'm living on-campus (barely) at a place called Wyview. It used to be married student housing but was recently converted for single students. The apartment is super nice for the most part--minus not having a dishwasher and being SO FAR AWAY FROM EVERYTHING! For those of you familiar with BYU campus, you'll know that the football stadium is a fairly long walk from the main part of campus. My apartment is like 3 blocks further. It's quite a pain to not have a bus pass or a car or a bike.

On the plus side, it's a pretty decent weight-loss/exercise program. I've been eating quite healthy (yay me!)...minus the pizza I had for dinner, but hey, it was free...and walking absolutely everywhere! The other day I literally wandered around Provo for 2 1/2 hours straight because I was bored. My feet practically fell off. So if anyone has a sweet car they're just dying to give away, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)

It's pretty weird to think that this is my life for the next few years. I feel like I should still be a 5th grader playing tag at recess but here I am living on my own and becoming totally independent and entirely responsible for myself. I've always been pretty independent (thanks, mom and dad for not handing me everything on a silver platter!) but college is just a bit more intense I guess.

Ugh, I wish kissing the Blarney Stone would have actually given me eloquence in speech--or writing in this case--because I don't feel like I'm saying everything the way I want it to come out. Whatever.

I wish I could say I'm having the time of my life, but that would be a lie. The past few days have been quite a bore in all honesty. There have been a few fun things going on (BYU women's soccer killing Georgia 4-1, for instance), but for the most part I've just walked. A lot. And sat around doing nothing.

I'm really looking forward to meeting the people in my ward and starting classes and such. I feel like I'll enjoy it much more when I'm actually involved in stuff. I just haven't really met many people and I dunno...it's just boring. Plus I have a pretty rough time making friends and stuff because I'm not super outgoing, but I'm sure it will get better.

On a final note...those of you that know me know that I am somewhat of a football hater. Well for some reason I bought an All-Sports Pass (season tickets to every sporting event)--which includes football. Tonight was the first game and it reaffirmed on thing: I sure do hate football. Why in the world must it be so long and drawn out?! Lame. I definitely could have gone for a seat with a backrest and less sweltering heat, but oh well. Luckily I was sitting by some friends so I didn't have to watch the field much.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Merrit!! You have the best writing ever and I totally agree 100% with everything you say! I love you sooo much and I always could use someone to talk to since I dont have anyone here! haha