Pages

20 August 2008

This is the car ride that never ends...

Well it's official: I'm sick and tired of driving. I keep getting ever so carsick and I surely hate it. Yesterday we thought the drive would be a few hours, but it turned into an entire day of travel. Ugh! And I get so sick of just sitting there. You can only make up dorky songs about the countryside for so long until they get unbearabley annoying. I think yesterday we all kind of had enough of these looong drives from place to place. Note to self: next time you go to Ireland, don't try to travel around the ENTIRE country in only a few days. Luckily the scenery is beautiful. It's certainly much better than driving through that gross, ugly, brown land in parts of Utah.

Yesterday did have one major highlight, though. We went to the Cliffs of Moher! When we first got there it started to rain a little, so we tried to wait it out in the little cafe they had there. (And as a sidenote, the cafe was kinda cool...it was like built into the side of a hill!) It finally let up a little, so we made our way down the path to get to the viewing spot. Well lucky for us, it was so foggy that you could barely see a few yards in front of you! (that's kind of an exaggeration, but it was pretty dang thick). The wind was blowing like crazy and it was really misty. We came all this way and couldn't even see one little rock of the cliffs!

We were very determined to see these dang things, even if we had to wait all night. So we found ourselves a little nook in this castle thing at the top of a hill and stood there. FINALLY after a million hours we could see a hint of blue sky in the distance and we could even make out some water down below! The wind continued to blow the clouds away to reveal an absolutely breathtaking view of the cliffs and the waves crashing against them. It was sooo worth the wait! Add going to see that to the list of things to do before you die. I was even a little glad that it was so foggy because it made the experience rather mystical. Every once it a while it would fog up again and I kept thinking a pirate ship would appear the next time it cleared. It was a little bit eery, but I loved it.

We made it to our hotel...a castle! It is in the middle of freakin nowhere, but it is gorgeous. Us three girls are sharing a gigantic and luxurious room that leads right out to the forest and a huge river. The place is kinda fancy...a much different feel than our nice little B&Bs. Last night we felt a little out of place when we sat down for dinner and it was all this weird food with French names. I think we were all just irritable because of the long drive because this morning we were much happier about the fanciness of it all.

The plan for today is pretty much to just chill out around here. The castle is built on hundreds of acres of land, so as soon as I get my lazy butt off the computer I'm going to go out and take a little walk. We might even head into the nearest town and watch a pony show!

Well, Mal and Ab just got back with a little bouquet of wildflowers for me (they wanted me to make sure everyone knew that they did that) and are begging me to go outside with them, so I better go. Cheerio!

No comments: